Senior Full Stack Java Developer
Do you thrive on the exploration of new technologies? Have you found joy in diving deep into an unfamiliar environment and technology and squeezing productive work out of it? Have you done solid work with Java, JEE, Spring, Spring MVC, Spring Boot, and related technologies and find yourself eager to keep doing that in a program that believes in experimentation, continuous improvement and personal growth?
Workstate seeks senior developers with 2+ years of experience in Java and 4+ overall years of technical experience to help build, maintain, and expand a web application utilizing interesting technologies in an interesting working environment in the scientific field.
This position is with our Columbus, OH office. We are located across from the North Market and close to Short North and Downtown / Arena District lunch and entertainment options. We have a team lunch every Friday where we share what we've been working on throughout the week and discuss new technology, tools and techniques that excite us.
This position is only available to US residents based in the continental US who are eligible to work for any employer without H-1B visa sponsorship or transfer.
Technologies of interest include the following. The ideal candidate will have experience with some of these technologies but not necessarily all.
- SQL and NoSQL databases
- Spring MVC
- Spring Boot
- Spring Data
- Angular, React, and other front-end SPA frameworks
- CSS3, SASS, LESS
- Configuration Management, CI/CD
- Outstanding software development skills
- Testing / debugging
- Good written and verbal communication, including with non-technical people
- Ability and interest to learn new technologies on the fly, as they become needed
- The ability and interest to learn is one of our most desired attributes in a candidate. If you can demonstrate an aptitude to dig in up to your elbows and build experience in new technologies as you deliver projects utilizing those technologies successfully, your application will move to the top of the pile.
Who are you, Workstate?
Workstate is a technology consulting company, built by technologists, for technologists. Throughout our 20-year history we’ve been on a mission to create the best home for people who love to build. Who are we? We’re builders.
How we build.
At Workstate, building doesn’t just apply to technology.
We apply it to everything we do -- building relationships, skillsets, retirement accounts, technical knowledge, music collections, recipe files, dad joke collections, movie recommendations, travel logs, childhood toy recollections … and more. So much more. We build to last.
But, the technology...
No matter what we’re building, the technology forms the backbone of all our projects. We’re not purists, though. We choose the technology to fit the circumstance; we don’t force the circumstance into a preferred tech stack. We love to build, and we love to learn new ways to build. In any given project, you may find yourself working with:
- Full stack application frameworks like .NET, J2EE, PHP MVC (Symfony, Laravel, Yii, &c.)
- Technologies for moving and analyzing data, such as Python, Hadoop, HBase, Spark, Kafka, RabbitMQ, clustered, and highly scalable systems.
- Native, serverless cloud solutions on any of the big three: AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
- State of the art SDLC techniques utilizing CI/CD, build automation, orchestration tools, you name it.
A comprehensive list would be impossible. Containers? Got ‘em. Machine Learning? That pops up, too. And, so on.
We love building. We get to build all day at work. Therefore, we love coming to work. But we emphasize home, family and personal time as essential to overall well-being. This is reflected in our benefits:
- Health, Dental, Vision and Life insurance plans.
- 12 - 14 paid holiday days per year (includes most recognized federal holidays)
- 15 days of paid time off per year.
- Sick time as needed.
Are we for you?
We like it here, but we recognize we’re not for everyone. We’re not just here to write code. We’re here to build lasting relationships with delighted clients. This requires strong interpersonal skills, a collaborative mindset, organizational savvy, and a talent for circumventing and resolving conflict.
This is not to say that we expect everyone to have these skills fully developed upon hire. If the thought of developing and utilizing these skills is appealing, then we might be for you.
What else, what else, what else...
What else? Our headquarters is across the street from the historic North Market, at the intersection of the Short North and Downtown Columbus. We’re a five minute walk from Nationwide Arena. Oh, and we have free parking for all our employees, also available over the weekend and after hours.
We have a catered team lunch in our office every Friday where people working at a client site converge with people working in the office to reconnect, swap stories, and talk about what they’ve been doing.
We throw a pretty enjoyable, family-friendly, year end party. The past few years we’ve rented out a party tower at Nationwide Arena for a hockey game.