Associate Software Developer in Testing / QA
Workstate, a growing Columbus consultancy seeks software developers with 2+ years of general experience with some of that in applying their skills to automated testing in Ruby / Cucumber. Do you see yourself as a developer who happens to be working in testing? Do you see your ideal environment as a partnership between yourself, application developers, and business stakeholders, all working together to ensure the work delivered meets measurable goals? Do you find adversarial tester/developer relationships to be for the birds? Then you'll do well here.
You should be comfortable with programming in general, particularly in Ruby, and be experienced with Ruby/Cucumber. Ideally you will have experience in an iterative or agile environment.
You will work in a close-knit team based environment that promotes quality, personal development, and work-life balance above short-term profit. This is aided by a clear path for advancement that results in low turn-over for greater continuity.
This position is with our Columbus, OH office. We are located across from the North Market and close to Short North and Downtown / Arena District lunch and entertainment options. We have a team lunch every Friday where we share what we've been working on throughout the week and discuss new technology, tools and techniques that excite us.
This position is only available to US residents based in the continental US who are eligible to work for any employer without need for visa sponsorship or transfer now or in the future.
These are the required technology skills for this position.
- Ruby, Cucumber, Gherkin
- General programming skills in Ruby and/or other languages.
Additional required experience is:
- Experience with back-end testing. I.E. web services, SQL, XML content
- Strong background in software testing practices including automation
- Knowledge of Project Management practices
- Experience on a Scrum team following Acceptance Test Driven Development (ATDD) practices
- Working knowledge and practical exposure to agile/scrum development practices with varying sprint and release cycles
- Ability to identify and describe acceptance criteria for application features and apply the criteria to test cases
- Outstanding software development skills
- Testing / debugging
- Good written and verbal communication, including with non-technical people
- Ability and interest to learn new technologies on the fly, as they become needed
- The ability and interest to learn is one of our most desired attributes in a candidate. If you can demonstrate an aptitude to dig in up to your elbows and build experience in new technologies as you deliver projects utilizing those technologies successfully, your application will move to the top of the pile.
Workstate is a technology consultancy with offices in Columbus OH, Pittsburgh PA, Los Angeles CA, Oakland CA and Seattle WA. We specialize in Website Design and Development, Application Development, Mobile Development, and Data Migrations.
Our clients range from growing medium-sized companies listed on Fast Company’s “Fast 50” to large corporations in the Fortune 500. Banks, telecoms, energy, education, non-profits, our clients and projects are diverse and interesting.
We are focused on long-term success over short term gain. This informs our strategy in selecting and servicing clients as well as team members. We are highly selective because we are committed for the long haul.
Our benefits package for salaried associates includes health, vision and dental insurance, 20 days of paid vacation per year, and a retirement investment plan. We also have a fridge stocked with soft drinks and plenty of coffee to go around.