IBM Mainframe Developer - Assembly Language
Workstate seeks developers with 6+ years of experience in IBM Mainframe development. Of particular interest is experience with Assembly Language in contrast to FORTRAN, PL/I and other higher level languages. We are looking for both Senior and Lead roles in this area.
You will work in a close-knit team based environment that promotes quality, personal development, and work-life balance above short-term profit. This is aided by a clear path for advancement that results in low turn-over for greater continuity.
This position is with our Columbus, OH office. We are located across from the North Market and close to Short North and Downtown / Arena District lunch and entertainment options. We have a team lunch every Friday where we share what we've been working on throughout the week and discuss new technology, tools and techniques that excite us.
This position is only available to US residents based in the continental US who are eligible to work for any employer without need for visa sponsorship or transfer.
- Significant, long-term experience with IBM Mainframe development, with strong skills in assembler
- Comfort in the terminal for multiple flavors of Unix and/or Linux
- Bash scripting experience
- Experience with large scale, scheduled, batch processing
- Experience and exposure to some other technical areas, such as Java development, C development, data structures, etc.
- Experience with data formats, including relational, flat-file, possibly XML, JSON, etc.
- Experience writing and maintaining Enterprise-grade software
Nice to Have Experience
- DevOps, CI/CD exposure
- Experience in Agile development environments
- Outstanding software development skills
- Testing / debugging
- Good written and verbal communication, including with non-technical people
- Ability and interest to learn new technologies on the fly, as they become needed
- The ability and interest to learn is one of our most desired attributes in a candidate. If you can demonstrate an aptitude to dig in up to your elbows and build experience in new technologies as you deliver projects utilizing those technologies successfully, your application will move to the top of the pile.
Who are you, Workstate?
Workstate is a technology consulting company, built by technologists, for technologists. Throughout our 20-year history we’ve been on a mission to create the best home for people who love to build. Who are we? We’re builders.
How we build.
At Workstate, building doesn’t just apply to technology.
We apply it to everything we do -- building relationships, skillsets, retirement accounts, technical knowledge, music collections, recipe files, dad joke collections, movie recommendations, travel logs, childhood toy recollections … and more. So much more. We build to last.
But, the technology...
No matter what we’re building, the technology forms the backbone of all our projects. We’re not purists, though. We choose the technology to fit the circumstance; we don’t force the circumstance into a preferred tech stack. We love to build, and we love to learn new ways to build. In any given project, you may find yourself working with:
- Full stack application frameworks like .NET, JEE, PHP MVC (Symfony, Laravel, Yii, &c.)
- Technologies for moving and analyzing data, such as Python, Hadoop, HBase, Spark, Kafka, RabbitMQ, clustered, and highly scalable systems.
- Native, serverless cloud solutions on any of the big three: AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
- State of the art SDLC techniques utilizing CI/CD, build automation, orchestration tools, you name it.
A comprehensive list would be impossible. Containers? Got ‘em. Machine Learning? That pops up, too. And, so on.
We love building. We get to build all day at work. Therefore, we love coming to work. But we emphasize home, family and personal time as essential to overall well-being. This is reflected in our benefits:
- Health, Dental, Vision and Life insurance plans.
- 12 - 14 paid holiday days per year (includes most recognized federal holidays)
- 20 days of paid time off per year.
- Sick time as needed.
Are we for you?
We like it here, but we recognize we’re not for everyone. We’re not just here to write code. We’re here to build lasting relationships with delighted clients. This requires strong interpersonal skills, a collaborative mindset, organizational savvy, and a talent for circumventing and resolving conflict.
This is not to say that we expect everyone to have these skills fully developed upon hire. If the thought of developing and utilizing these skills is appealing, then we might be for you.
What else, what else, what else...
What else? Our headquarters is across the street from the historic North Market, at the intersection of the Short North and Downtown Columbus. We’re a five minute walk from Nationwide Arena. Oh, and we have free parking for all our employees, also available over the weekend and after hours.
We have a catered team lunch in our office every Friday where people working at a client site converge with people working in the office to reconnect, swap stories, and talk about what they’ve been doing.
We throw a pretty enjoyable, family-friendly, year end party. The past few years we’ve rented out a party tower at Nationwide Arena for a hockey game.